Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Julie Paisley Real Wedding Workshop - Tulsa, OK

When I first became interested in starting my own photography business, I was told to start researching different photographers and study their styles, marketing, and branding.  I should look at how they tie it all together and get inspired.  And so, I started searching.  And holy cow, there are a billion photographers out there!  I was overwhelmed looking through their photos and trying to see what style of photography spoke to me.  I knew that I wanted to be ME, but I wanted some inspiration.

And then I found Julie Paisley Photography.

I'm sure it was some random post she had written - but the way she wrote it made it feel like she was speaking directly to me.  Like we were good friends, sitting on the front porch, chit chatting about photography.

After I had been following her for a couple of years, I decided to go to one of her real wedding workshops.  The dates for ones close by didn't work for me, but the one in Tulsa did.  I kissed my kids and husband goodbye, loaded up all my gear, and took a plane to Oklahoma.

The night I met Julie, I was a tad nervous.  I mean, this was THE Julie Paisley.  I went to the lobby and was immediately greeted with a hug, a huge smile, and the sweetest southern twang I ever heard.  Ok, I was in Oklahoma, so I heard a lot of cute southern accents.  ;)  Julie was so down-to-earth and REAL.  After dinner, we even headed out to Target where we debated on whether a certain curling iron would work or not.  (Some how we all ended up buying one, even though I have short hair and don't ever curl it.)

The wedding was beyond awesome.  It was so cool to watch Julie work.  She was great about showing us how to pose, use the light, move around until we get the perfect spot.  She was open to suggestions and would jump out of the way to make sure we got our shot.  I wish I could list all that I learned from her, but if you are a photographer and have not gone to a JPP workshop - GO!  You will not regret it.

 Julie demonstrating a pose.  ;)




 The following day, we met in Julie's hotel room for the "lecture" portion of the workshop.  I never knew that time could fly so fast.  We talked about culling, editing, accounting, and our businesses; what works and what doesn't, how to improve our marketing, branding, and just improve our business as a whole.  I had so much information, that my head was spinning.  But I was inspired!  I left there with a business plan and knew what changes I needed to make.


Thank you so much, Julie, for a fantastic and informative weekend.

               Julie and the workshop girls!  Such wonderful girls - I so wish I lived closer!!
        (Note:  This photo was edited by Julie and is being used with permission by Julie Paisley)






1 comment:

  1. Looks like a beautiful wedding! Julie's workshops are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete